Show Date: July 3rd, 2019
Listen to podcast at:
President and CEO
O’Krent Floors was established in 1915 by Samuel O’Krent, who had a simple business philosophy: “Give your customer quality products at a fair price and take care of them like a friend.”
This basic principle has been passed along through the generations and remains a guiding light to the current owner, Sam O’Krent, Samuel’s great-grandson.
“Service is everything,” says President Sam O’Krent. “It’s what we’ve built our business on. At O’Krent, we are committed to providing a truly exceptional customer experience, letting every person know we value his or her business. From the moment they walk in our door, we do everything possible to ensure our customer’s satisfaction. It’s important to me that they know we truly care about their business.”
In the course of the company’s, O’Krent Floors has witnessed many changes to the industry from product innovations to installation techniques. One of our most important changes occurred in 1996 when we joined the Abbey Carpet & Floor team. With over 800 members across the country, Abbey is recognized as America’s Choice in Floor Fashion. The buying power and expertise that Abbey brings to the table is a wonderful compliment to growing traditions at O’Krent.
In 2001, during the company’s 86th year in business, they re-committed the organization to its clients by building the largest retail floor covering showroom in Texas. Their 34,000 square foot building offers three floors of every floor covering imaginable. It is truly a designer’s floor covering dream come true. They continue to challenge the organization by looking for the latest most fashion forward products available.
O’Krent’s story does not end with our huge selection of products – it’s only the beginning. Once the perfect product has been selected it has to be installed to make the project complete. This is where the most dramatic differences come in. Our installations are performed by certified craftsmen and we are so confident in their skills that we back our installations with our Lifetime labor warranty.
At O’Krent Floors understands that it’s not just a floor, it’s your home!
The company is located on Loop 1604 at Gold Canyon, just East of Highway 281.
SAM’S COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT:
Sam believes in being involved in the local community through the following organizations:
- Methodist Healthcare Ministries – Board member 2012 – present
- Methodist Healthcare System – Community Board member 2012 – present
- Cancer Therapy & Research Center — Board of Governors 2011 – present
- Outstanding Citizenship Award from the Sons of the American Revolution 2009
- Our Lady of the Lake University – Learning from Leaders Speaker 2007 – 2009?
- Methodist Stone Oak Hospital – Community Board Member 2008 – 2012
- South Texas Blood & Tissue Center Foundation – Board member 2008 – present
- theFund Board Member 2004 – 2008
- Vice Chairman 2007 – 2008
- Co-Chair Arthur O’Krent Golf Classic – 2003 – present
- Rotary Club of San Antonio – President 2005 – 2006
- North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce – Board of Directors 2004 –2006
- Small Business Council Executive Committee 2003 – 2005
- Small Business Leaders Award – Chairman 2005
- North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce Outstanding Small Business
—Leader Achievement Award 2002
- American Heart Association – Chairman of the Board 2001-2002
- Paul Apgar Award Recipient 2004-2005
- Young Entrepreneur’s Organization – President 2000-2001
- University of Texas San Antonio Prep Advisory Council – 2000
- World Entrepreneur’s Organization – Past member
- San Antonio Business Journal: 40 Under 40 Rising Star – 1999
- San Pedro Playhouse – Board of Directors 1994-1997
- Alamo Executives Association –President 1993 – 1995
- Agudas Achim Synagogue Executive Committee Board 1988 – 1992
- Association of General Contractors Board of Directors – 1990 – 1994
- Building Owners & Managers Association – Board Member 1994
SAM’S INDUSTRY INVOLVEMENT:
- Floor Covering Industry Foundation – Board member 2016 – present
- World Floor Covering Association – Board member 2001-2010, 2017 – 2020
- World Floor Covering Association – Vice Chairman 2006-2008, 2018
- Floor Covering Consumer Credit Association – Executive Board 2005 – 2006
- Creating Your Space.com – Board member 2007 – 2010
- Certified Flooring Executive
- Abbey Carpet National Advisory Council – 1996 – present
- Winston Churchill High School, San Antonio, TX – Class of 1979
- University of Texas at Austin – BBA 1983
- The Birthing of Giants – MIT University – Graduated 2001
- National Security Forum – Air War College – May 2010
- FBI Citizens Academy – 2012