Olga Custodio, LR. Col., USAFR (ret)
Show Date: May 6th, 2020
Listen to podcast at:
OLGA E. CUSTODIO
Lt. Colonel, US Air Force Reserves (ret)
American Airlines Captain (ret)
PUR FLY GIRL, LLC, CEO
STEM Advocate | Motivational Speaker
Olga E. Custodio, Lt. Col. USAFR, (ret):
* Seasoned and passionate female advocate, with more than 30 years of combined military, nonprofit, and civilian aviation experience.
* Recognized as the first Hispanic female military pilot and instructor pilot in the United States Air Force, with solid commitment to empowering and inspiring women to different careers in the aviation and aerospace.
* Articulate motivational speaker, equipped with extensive background in delivering compelling presentations and speeches to support various federally funded human services programs including but not limited to STEM and Women in Aviation.
* Armed with solid communication and interpersonal competencies; able to build partnerships with various global academic, nonprofit, and governmental entities as well as private sectors, while juggling multiple priorities.
* Bilingual in English and Spanish.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
* Public Relations and Program Coordination
* Flight Training and Program Development
* Fund Raising and Networking
* Continuous Performance Improvement
* Problem Resolution and Decision-Making
* Strategic and Tactical Planning
* Leadership, Team Building, and Supervision Aviation Operations
EDUCATION and CREDENTIALS
* MASTERS LEADERSHIP PROGRAM: 2018 ▪ San Antonio, TX, USA
BACHELOR OF ARTS DEGREE ▪ University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
United States Air Force Flight Ratings:
Command Pilot, UPT Instructor Pilot
PIT Instructor Pilot
Federal Aviation Administration Certificates:
Air Transport Pilot (ATP)
Flight Engineer (FE)
Flight Hours (Military and Part 121): More than 11,000 flight hours.
T-41, T-37, and T-38 (USAF) | B-727-100/200, F-100, B-757, B-767 (American Airlines Part 121)
THE DEE HOWARD FOUNDATION, SAN ANTONIO, TX, USA Board of Directors 2018–Present
* Serves as an integral part of the board for the organization, strongly supporting its mission to foster aviation and aerospace in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (S.T.E.M.) in Pre-K to 12 education programs throughout greater San Antonio schools with students from under-served areas of the community.
* Provides expert advice and recommendations on the organization’s initiatives and serve as a liaison strengthening the partnership between local military affairs and the Women in Aviation.
* Work closely with girls in six (6) independent school districts with approximately 100,000 total enrolled district students, boosting their interests to STEM career fields.
AMERICAN PROGRAM BUREAU (APB), NEWTON, MA, USA STEM Advocate/Speaker 2018–Present
* Gained commendation for being part of the largest speaker roster in the industry that caters to various corporate, colleges and universities, K-12 education, and nonprofit organizations
* Extensively traveled throughout the United States to deliver informative presentations, while simultaneously inspiring and advocating for STEM in all aspects relating to aviation and aerospace careers.
WOMEN IN AVIATION INTERNATIONAL (WAI), ALAMO CITY CHAPTER, SAN ANTONIO, TX, USA Executive Director/Board Member-Treasurer 2013–Present
* Functions as a key member of the organization with approximately 12,000 members working together to deliver scholarship, networking, and educational opportunities to professional women and men within the aviation and aerospace industries (Women in Aviation member since 1993)
* Diligently manages the Alamo City Chapter that consists of around 158 affiliated members, granting $1K scholarships to deserving individuals in 2018 and 2019
Stinsons Flight #2 Board and Scholarship Chair 2011–Present
* Plays a vital role in awarding up to seven annual scholarships to local ROTC Detachment cadets in excess of $52K in the last four years .
* Oversees the Daedalians Flying Training Program that awards flight training scholarships to high school and college students interested in military aviation.
HISPANIC ASSOCIATION OF WOMEN IN AVIATION INTERNATIONAL (WAI), ALAMO CITY CHAPTER, SAN ANTONIO, TX, USA Executive Director/Board Member-Treasurer 2013–Present
* Functions as a key member of the organization with approximately 12,000 members working together to deliver scholarship, networking, and educational opportunities to professional women and men within the aviation and aerospace industries.
AVIATION AND MILITARY EXPERIENCE:
AMERICAN AIRLINES, FORT WORTH, TX, USA B-757 / B-767 First Officer/Captain International, Miami, FL, USA 2001–2008 F-100 Captain Domestic, Dallas/Ft Worth, TX, USA 1999–2001
* B-727 First Officer Domestic/International, Dallas/Ft Worth, TX, USA 1990–1999 B-727 Flight Engineer, Chicago, IL and Dallas/Ft Worth, TX, USA 1988–1990
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE (USAF), PILOT, various AFB locations: 1980-2003 USAF HEADQUARTERS PERSONNEL, READINESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY.
* Deputy Director IMA for Readiness and Casualty Operations, Randolph AFB, TX, USA 1997–2003.
* Voluntarily supported the Operation Noble Eagle/Enduring Freedom following the attack on 9/11.
* Coordinated and established the hotline for the Air Force and served as liaison between the HQ AFPC and the HQ AFNEWS during the 9/11 crisis
* Readiness and Casualty Operations–Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA), Randolph AFB, TX 1995–1997.
* Displayed unsurpassed expertise in providing Air Force emergency and routing manning assistance for Joint Chiefs of Staff crisis operation and DoD special missions worldwide.
* Exemplified remarkable management ability in deploying Personnel Support for Contingency Operations (PERSCO) teams, which supported more than 15,000 requirements.
Received appointment as representative of the Chief of Staff effecting casualty reporting and notification to Next of Kin of Air Force casualties worldwide.
*PUR FLYGIRL, LLC, SAN ANTONIO, TX Owner 2018 – Present
* DRAGONFLY PRODUCTIONS, LLC, SAN ANTONIO, TX Owner 2007–2013
* DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, HOWARD AFB, PANAMA CANAL ZONE Air Terminal Admin Specialist GS-4 1978-1979
* EQUAL OPPORTUNITY OFFICE, PANAMA CANAL COMPANY/CANAL ZONE GOVERNMENT, PANAMA Office Admin 1977
* LAW FIRM OFFICE, LITTLE ROCK, AR, USA Executive Assistant to Law Firm Partner 1976
* TWIN CITY BANK, NORTH LITTLE ROCK, AR, USA Checking Accounts Processing Clerk 1975
* PUERTO RICO INTERNATIONAL AIRLINES (PRINAIR), SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO Comptroller/Accounting Department Administration 1973-1975
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
* US Air Force Reserve Officer Association Outstanding IMA of the Year
* US Air Force Meritorious Service Medal
* Commendation Medal, (3) Oak Leaf Clusters, US Air Force
* Achievement Medal, US Air Force
* Organizational Excellence Award Ribbon, (2) Oak Leaf Clusters, US Air Force
* National Defense Service Medal,
* Bronze Service Star
* Aviation Safety Award,
* Air Force HQ Air Education and Training Command
* Valor Award – American Latino Influencer Awards
* First Latina Female Military Air Force Pilot
* Hall of Fame Inductee, San Antonio Aviation and Aerospace
* CoquiSA Award–Culture, Education, and Community, Sociedad Herencia Puertorriqueña
* FIRST, Veteran Women Igniting the Spirit of Entrepreneurship (V-WISE)
* Puerto Rico Senate–Puerto Rican Female Pilot–Military and American Airlines Puerto Rico Senate–Outstanding and Exemplary Citizen
* La Belleza Inteligente, Elizabeth Arden/Revista Imagen of Puerto Rico
* Featured in a Modelo Especial “Fighting Spirit” commercial shown on national TV
* Featured in a FOX News profile series
* Recorded oral military flight history as a military aviation pioneer for the Smithsonian National Museum of Air and Space in Washington D.C. archives and a future exhibit on military aviation
* Recognition from City of Stockton California, California Legislature, and California Congressional US House of Representatives
* Latina Style Magazine Military Trailblazer Award
* California Hispanic Chambers of Commerce Inaugural Veterans Award
* San Antonio HOPE Military Community Leader Honoree
* EAA Museum and Programs Supporter Recognition
* Puerto Rican Leadership Summit Award
* La Prensa Latina in Action Award
* LULAC Council Presidential Award
* Recognition from St. Phillip’s College Women in Nontraditional Occupations Conference
* Recognition from STEM Early College High School – Harlendale ISD
* Member/Executive Director Alamo City, Women in Aviation International
* Member, Ninety-Nines, Inc.
Member, Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Member, Masters Leadership Program (MLP) Alumni Association
* Member, Congressman Joaquin Castro’s Federal Advisory Committee
* Vice President/Member, Hispanic Association of Aviation and Aerospace Professionals (HAAAP)
* Charter Member, Women Military Aviators Association (WMA)
* Member, Allied Pilots Association
* Member/Mentor, Women in Aviation, International at national and local levels
* Member/Past President, Puerto Rican Heritage Society
* Member, San Antonio Sports Hall of Fame Gala and Fundraising Committee
* Member, Aviation Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)
* Member, iEmpower Organization – San Antonio
* Member, National Association of Latino Independent Producers (NALIP)
* Mentor, Aviation Explorers in San Antonio
* Mentor, School of Aeronautics of the Inter American University in Puerto Rico, Advisory Board, Southwest Texas Junior College Career Pilot Technical Program
* Advisory Board, San Antonio Museum of Art Lila Wallace-Reader’s Digest Fund Grant
* Participant, FAA film on Hispanics in Aviation for Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, Washington D.C.
* Participant, PBS KLRN film “Wings over the Alamo”
* Director/Founder, Ballet Folklórico Borikèn / Member, Ecos de Puerto Rico Cuatro Orchestra
* Volunteer/Presenter, Boy and Girl Scout of America/Big Brother and Big Sisters
* Presenter, Aviation Education Pathways and Careers at the Texas Education Service Center (ESC), Region 20