Maj Gen Robert LaBrutta, USAF Ret.
Show Date: February 12th, 2020
Listen to podcast at:
Maj. Gen. Robert D. “Bob” LaBrutta, USAF, ret.
Retired as Director, Military Force Management Policy
Headquarters, United States Air Force
The Pentagon, Washington, D.C
Maj. Gen. Robert D. LaBrutta, (retired 1-July 2019) as Director of Military Force Management Policy, and Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. The directorate is responsible for establishing military force management policies for more than 500,000 total force personnel. These policies guide the accession, assignment, evaluation, skills analysis and management, promotion, readiness, retraining, retention, separation and retirement of the Air Force’s human capital. The office also oversees aspects of total force contingency, mobilization, training and rated force management policy.
General LaBrutta enlisted in the Air Force in 1981 and later earned a commission as a distinguished graduate of the Air Force ROTC program at Southwest Texas State University in May 1989. He served in a wide variety of assignments to include base level, the Air Force Personnel Center, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, a major command and combatant command staff. His command tours include squadron, group, two wings and a numbered air force.
1997 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
2007 Master of Strategic Studies, with Highest Distinction, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2008 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2014 Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century Executive Leaders Course, Haslam College of Business, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
2016 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C
- May 1989 – June 1992, Chief, Personnel Utilization Section; Chief, Quality Force Section; and Chief, Personnel Programs Section, Brooks Air Force Base, Texas
- July 1992 – July 1995, Officer in Charge, Intelligence Assignments and Human Resource Management; Decision Point Quality Advisor; and OIC, Senior Officer Personnel Programs, Headquarter Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
- August 1995 – May 1997, Air Force Intern, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
- May 1997 – April 1998, Commander, Military Personnel Flight, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
- May 1998 – June 2001, Chief, Personnel Officer Assignments and Chief, Officer Promotions Management, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
- July 2001 – May 2002, Student, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
- June 2002 – June 2004, Commander, 355th Mission Support Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz. (February 2004 – May 2004, Commander, 455th Expeditionary Support Squadron, Bagram AB, Afghanistan)
- July 2004 – June 2006, Chief, Director’s Action Group and Vice Director for the Manpower and Personnel Directorate, JCS/J-1, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
- July 2006 – May 2007, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- June 2007 – October 2008, Commander, 37th Mission Support Group, Lackland AFB, Texas
- November 2008 – June 2010, Director of Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters ACC, Langley AFB, Va.
- June 2010 – January 2012, Commander, 72nd Air Base Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
- January 2012 – May 2013, Director, Manpower and Personnel, U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
- May 2013 – August 2016, Commander, 502nd ABW and Joint Base San Antonio, JB San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, Texas
- August 2016 – August 2017, Commander, 2nd Air Force, Keesler AFB, Miss.
- September 2017 – June 2019, Director, Military Force Management Policy, Deputy Chief of Staff, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
- July 2004 – June 2006, Chief, Director’s Action Group and Vice Director for the Manpower and Personnel Directorate, JCS/J-1, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a lieutenant colonel and a colonel
- January 2012 – May 2013, Director, Manpower and Personnel, U.S. Central Command, as a colonel.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 14, 1989
First Lieutenant June 9, 1991
Captain June 9, 1993
Major July 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2003
Colonel Jan. 1, 2007
Brigadier General Aug. 2, 2013
Major General June 2, 2017