Show Date: December 12th, 2018
Listen to podcast at:
Ms Joyce Slocum
President and CEO
Texas Public Radio
Joyce Slocum is President and CEO, Texas Public Radio, a non-profit public media organization that operates seven radio stations providing service to communities across a wide swath of South Central Texas. TPR is a vital source of news, information and cultural programming for its audiences. Since joining TPR in 2014, Joyce has focused on enhancing and expanding its news coverage by adding critical editorial positions, establishing dedicated reporting beats and expanding digital operations. Under her leadership, TPR has had record setting pledge drives and listener numbers are at an all-time high.
Ms Slocum previously served in a number of roles at National Public Radio (NPR), including:
- Chief Administrative Officer
- Interim President and CEO
- General Counsel and Chief Ethics Officer
- Secretary of NPR Board of Directors (and)
- adviser to the NPR Foundation Board of Trustees.
Prior to joining NPR. Ms Slocum was Executive Vice President, Global Legal and Business Affairs and General Counsel for HIT Entertainment, a producer and distributor of high-quality children’s entertainment products. While at HIT, Joyce served a pivotal role in bringing together the unique partnership of HIT, Comcast, Sesame Workshop, and PBS to launch the groundbreaking Sprout Children’s Cable Television channel. She began her career in the private practice of law, and then served as both a legal and business advisor during ten years with the Southland Corporation, operator of 7-Eleven stores.
Joyce currently serves on:
– NPR Board of Directors
– Executive Committee of Eastern Region Public media
– Board of Trustees of the World Affairs Council of San Antonio
– Advisory Board of Directors of the Masters Leadership Program of Greater San Antonio
– Advisory Board of the H-E-B School of Business & Administration of the University of the Incarnate Word
– Board of Directors of the Alameda Theater Conservancy
– Board of Directors of the San Antonio Youth Code Jam
– Board of Directors of Artpace San Antonio
She is member of
– International Women’s Forum
– Argyle Business Forum
– San Antonio Masters in Leadership Alumni Association.
Joyce was honored with the 2017 Women’s Leadership Award by the San Antonio Business Journal and the 2013 PRRP Award from the Public Radio Regional Organizations, in appreciation of her contributions made on behalf of public radio stations nationwide.
Ms Slocum holds a Juris Doctor (JD) Degree from St. Louis University School of Law.