C. Lee Cusenbary, Jr.
Show Date: January 23rd, 2019
Listen to podcast at:
C. Lee Cusenbary, Jr.
Chief Legal Officer
Mission Pharmacal Company, General Counsel, Chief Legal Officer, 2003 to present. San Antonio, Texas.
- Manages all legal issues of pharmaceutical drug and dietary supplement development, including obtaining patent and trademark protection for new intellectual property and related brands.
- Manages outside legal counsel in litigation matters, including mediation and arbitration.
- Provides lead attorney role and negotiate the sale and acquisition of technologies.
- Participates regularly in the strategic planning of the company’s growth strategy with the Chief Scientific Officer, Chief Financial Officer, President, and CEO.
- Negotiates intellectual property acquisitions and divestures, including the 2007 sale of the Citracal™ international trademarks to Bayer Healthcare, LLC.
Cox Smith Matthews (Now Dykema Cox Smith) Partner, Transactional and Regulatory Healthcare Section, 2000 to 2003. San Antonio, Texas.
- Represented pharmaceutical companies, hospital systems, and large physician groups, with transactional, litigation, and healthcare-related regulatory compliance issues.
- Provided counsel and legal advice in the business, regulatory and legal matters of ongoing concerns, acting as outside General Counsel to multiple corporation and limited liability corporations. Participated in litigation strategies, including preparations
Clemens & Spencer—Partner, Medical Products & Devices and Medical Malpractice Defense, 1996-2000. San Antonio, Texas.
- Defended pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in multi-district complex litigation, mediations and arbitrations.
- Defended physicians and hospitals against malpractice claims trials in Central and South Texas, including mediations in every case.
- Counseled healthcare providers and pharmaceutical companies in federal regulatory compliance and growth and billing collection strategies.
- Negotiated federal regulatory penalties and fees with US Attorney’s offices and the Medicare Trust.
Harmon, Claytor, Corrigan & Wellman—Associate, Medical Device and Insurance Defense litigation, 1994-96. Richmond, Virginia.
- Defended pharmaceutical companies in medical device cases, including the breast implant litigation in Virginia. Defended the Commonwealth of Virginia in water, natural gas explosions, and drainage damage cases.
- Drafted insurance coverage opinions related to home, property, commercial and general coverage polices.
United States District Court, Briefing Attorney, 1993-94. Richmond, Virginia.
- Drafted legal research and written opinions for The Honorable David G. Lowe.
- Coordinated a complex trial docket with seventy-five cases through final judicial opinion in twelve months.
- Special in-court commendation for bringing court docket current for first time in nine years.
Smith Barshop Stouffer & Millsap, Associate, Commercial and Employment Litigation, 1992-93.
- Represented clients in employment and commercial disputes, conducted discovery, deposed witnesses, and argued motions in Texas state courts. Developed computerized databank of loan documents for FDIC case against a major Texas bank alleging insider loans.
- Participated in mediations and settlement conferences
St. Mary’s University Law School, San Antonio, Texas, Juris Doctorate, 1992.
- Executive Editor, St. Mary’s Law Journal (one year scholarship).
- Selected for Publication of Note (Medicare law changes) in 1991 and
Comment (whether school vouchers violated Separation of Church and
State) in 1992 in the St. Mary’s Law Journal. Note reprinted as Westlaw
authority on Medicare Law interpretation, bound as part of treatise on
Social Security Act.
- American Bar Association Award of Writing Excellence for a newspaper
article on ethics in law practice in 1991.
- First Place (1/118 teams), Freshman Moot Court 1990.
The University of Texas at Austin, B.S. in Speech Communication (Organizational Communications) 1986.
ASSOCIATIONS AND LICENSES
Texas State Bar Association, member
Virginia Bar Association (inactive member)
Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) South/Central Texas Chapter
Chairman of the Board, 2005-06.
- National Chapter of the Year Award in 2006.
- Chairman, ACC Annual Ethics Conference 2005-08 (shown by ACC
America internationally online for 23,000 ACC members in 2008).
Texas General Counsel Forum, President Austin & San Antonio Chapter
- Chairman, Magna Stella Awards Ceremony, 2008.
- Chairman, Texas General Counsel’s Annual Conference, 2007.
San Antonio Bar Association, Member
INTERESTS AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
My wife and three children are my main interest outside of work, with hobbies of music composition, landscaping, and charitable funds development:
San Antonio Bar Foundation
- Sponsorship Chair of Peacemaker Awards Gala
Big Brother Big Sisters
- Chairman of the Board, (two years)
- Board of Directors (seven years)
The Greater San Antonio Mental Health Association
- Chairman of the Board (two years)
- Board of Directors (4 years)